Simon Wilkie played an important part in shaping Namibian film-making – as established cinematographer / director of photography and camera operator. Connecting with local people and finding their stories is his strength. Many Namibian TV makers have learned their craft in Simon’s classes at the College of Arts.
- Founder member of the Namibian chapter of the Media Institute of Southern Africa
- Jury Member for Namibia Film and Theatre Awards
- Photographic tutor/trainer for Ombetja Yehinga’s Caring Namibian Man photographic project
- Video tutor/trainer for Positive Vibes’ Video Diary project in Ohangwena
- Former Board Member of Southern African Communications for Development
Simon’s qualifications include a postgraduate diploma in Screen Arts and Sciences – Cinematography from the National Film & Television School, Beaconsfield. He graduated with That Fire Within, a documentary shot in Omusati, Namibia together with Dutch filmmaker Jet Homoet. The filmmaking challenges and opportunities in Namibia kept calling him back and in 1996 he made Namibia his home.
Here is the obituary article published in The Namibian newspaper.